S was very excited about his phoenix costume and A is just as excited to be a dragon “that breathes out fire Mummy!”
A plain top and leggings was the base for this costume, along with some more felt, elastic and bubble wrap.
I started by cutting a long strip of triangle shaped spikes from the orange felt.
These were then sewn down the centre of the green top, starting from the hood, going all the way down the back.
The triangles were then folded together and sewn to form a spike.
The tail was two long triangular shaped pieces of green felt onto which the orange spikes were attached in the same way as the top.
I stuffed the tail with bubble wrap and then sewed it to an elastic waistband.
The wings proved more tricky. I was hoping to put some florist’s wire between two pieces of felt to give the wings extra definition. However, after two broken sewing machine needles I decided to abandon the wire and just sew some lines of stitches to give the wings detail.
To give A the illusion of breathing out fire we stapled some red and gold tulle to a cardboard tube. Here he is trying out his suit.