Over the last year we have been making flower fairies from felt, fabric and wooden pegs and using them with our poetry journals. My sister has also been experimenting with some wire and bead based fairies and today we made some together.
We started by covering some florists wire in masking tape to make the edges rougher. We folded this in half and threaded it through a bundle of silk thread.
On to this we threaded a 20mm wooden bead.
We then used the wire to make the arms, bending it at roughly 1 1/2 inches each side and then twisting it back to form the body and the legs.
The next stage was to cover the wire in more silk thread, fixing the end with a blob of glue from the glue gun.
On top of the base skin colour we wound round the clothes.
Next we removed the petals from an artificial flower and threaded the fairies’ legs through the hole in the centre. The petals were fixed in place using a dab of glue.
We styled the hair in different ways. The daffodil fairy had a her hair folded and glued underneath itself. I then trimmed the ends to even them up. The tulip fairy had half her hair smoothed and glued around her head. The other half was plaited and wound around again, the last piece being helped in place by a blob of glue.
Here are the finished fairies! We can’t wait to make some more.